Sunday, November 13, 2011

Paul Meyer writes

Michael, I want to try to tell you how much your friendship has meant to me. You are often in my thoughts, with fond memories of the time that we spent together and the  joy that your friendship has brought to my life.

Our friendship grew into many dimensions. At its core, and where it began,  was our birding outings with George, as he described  in his book, LIFEBIRDS. Birding provided a venue for us to get together regularly and talk about so many things besides birds. Along the way you helped to civilize our outings by, for example, introducing us to linguini with mussels at Vincent's Clam House, still a regular stop after every birding outing to Jamaica  Bay. 

I won't try to describe here more of the other dimensions of our friendship, or of what you taught me to observe in  looking at the world. Let me just mention that I remain grateful to you for all that you did to help me prepare for the culture shock of a semester in India, even teaching me how to do a bit of Indian cooking of my own.

I've talked about the joy that you have brought to my life, but there are so many others, especially the young people, whose lives  you have enriched by your presence in their lives and by your nurturing.

With warm affection, Paul

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Michael holding 'Twerp' the mockingbird chick he raised to adulthood and successfully released to the wild.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your memories of Michael.